After a prolonged period of time on the market, Spearhead negotiated a favorable Purchase Agreement for the redevelopment of MB Pilgrim Church on the corner of Willow and Burling. Once under contract, Spearhead worked with Alderman Vi Daley and the Lincoln Park Central Association neighborhood group to up-zone the property from B2-2 to B2-3. A key component in our ongoing negotiations was to preserve the parsonage building to the south which predated the Chicago Fire of 1871. Working closely with our Architect partner of Sullivan, Goulette, Wilson, we came up with a traditional brick and limestone façade that reflected the feel of the gothic architecture of the parsonage and was in keeping with the old church that stood at the corner for over 100 years. After much back and forth a design was accepted and the zoning change was finally granted. Demolition began on Memorial Day weekend of 2006 and the completed units were delivered in January 2008.
Lincoln Park is considered by many to be Chicago’s most outstanding neighborhood. Home to upscale retailers, trendy bars and restaurants, stellar schools and DePaul University, Lincoln park has nearly everything an urban resident could want. Striking Victorian homes stand next to new stately manors, set among tree-lined streets and significant historic churches. Lincoln Park itself now stretches for miles north and south of the actual neighborhood for which is named, and contains beaches, playing fields, a nature museum, a conservatory, and the world famous Lincoln Park Zoo. Burling is one of the most prolific streets not only in Chicago but the United States as confirmed by an interesting 2007 article in Forbes Magazine titled: In Pictures: The Most Expensive Blocks In The U.S.